Alderney's sweeping tides feed the island's waters, enriching them so that they brim with wildlife.
The UK Wildlife Trust's Living Seas
The UK Wildlife Trust's ambition is to lead the way towards a healthy, productive and wildlife-rich future for UK coasts and seas. This work focuses through the Living Seas vision, which centres on four themes:
- Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) and wildlife;
- Fishing and seafood;
- Marine planning and sustainable development;
- Legislation and policy.
The Alderney Wildlife Trust's Living Seas
To support the UK Wildlife Trust's Living Seas ambition, the Alderney Wildlife Trust has developed an Alderney Living Seas Programme. The Programme aims to follow the UK Wildlife Trust's Living Seas vision, yet adapted to suit the island.
The Alderney Living Seas Programme first aims to support current projects and strategies on Alderney, including:
- The LIVE teaching through nature project (http://www.teachingthroughnature.co.uk/);
- The Alderney Ramsar Site Management Strategy with the Alderney Wildlife Trust and the States of Alderney;
- The planning, management and research of potential marine protected areas (MPAs) within and beyond Alderney's territorial waters;
- Potential local marine and land renewable energy development planning, research and assessment activities;
- Marine conservation awareness and education;
- Other local, regional and international based marine conservational activities. This includes: fisheries issues, climate change initiatives, policy and legislative designations (i.e. Convention of Biological Diversity);
- UK wide Living Seas projects (i.e. marine conservation zone (MCZ) campaigns).
The Alderney Living Seas Programme secondly aims to further understand Alderney's marine environment, through:
- Conducting marine intertidal and sub-tidal species and habitat surveys;
- Establishing marine mammal species surveys in collaboration with the Sea Watch Foundation;
- Collating records of marine species and habitats, with the Alderney Records Centre;
- Providing the opportunity for islanders and visitors to learn about Alderney's unique marine environment;
- Creating links with other marine groups, academia and individuals within Alderney, the Channel Islands and beyond.
If you are interested in the Alderney Living Seas Programme or further information on the island's marine environment, please contact email@example.com for details.